+ confessions of a red-headed stepchild: rip my heart out

Friday, December 16, 2005

rip my heart out

My Dad's house burned to the ground this morning. He lived on 40 acres, in a beautiful home with no electricity or running water. I hated this house as a teenager, it even made my top ten list, but it was his home. It was where his heart was. He is a loner, a survivalist, and the house fit that part of him like a glove.

I spoke with him last night before he went to bed. He told me that he had found an old marble racing track he built for me as a child. He was going to send it to me along with his antique marble collection. It is gone.

Obviously material possessions consume our lives and thinking of losing everything other than the clothes on your back is almost unfathomable. But life is the only thing that can't be replaced. He was able to get out and is in ICU recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning and second degree burns.

Adding to my list of things to be thankful for:
My Dad woke up at 2am and smelled smoke.