+ confessions of a red-headed stepchild: turns out, we are fucked

Monday, January 08, 2007

turns out, we are fucked

So I watched An Inconvenient Truth this weekend, something I put off for a while because I hate getting even MORE depressed about things I feel I have no control over. I am not your average complacent American that would rather ignore our impending fate while pressing on, full throttle. I have been what I consider a diligent environmentalist my entire life. I worried as a young child about the slow leak in our family bath tub, and can't remember a time when I didn't recycle. I have friends call me to tell me about how they recycled knowing that I, of all the people they know, would be proud. I actually only have my trash can picked up once a month and it is only a 1/4 of the way full because I recycle and compost and god damn it what else can I fucking do!

I watched the news tonight and it sent me over the edge. I know I should have an emergency preparedness kit, but I didn't realize I might need it sooner rather than later. Can you believe we are sending more troops to Iraq? NBC actually retracted a story from earlier this week and are now admitting that warming weather, like 72 degrees in New York in January, might have something to do with global warming. And then in the same episode they told me that the flu is late this season, Manhattan had some unexplained natural gas smell, and 63 birds died. How can one person process all this and come out the other side with any hope? I realize this is NBC news, which in my mind means we are really fucked. Because they are the last people to admit we are going to die.