+ confessions of a red-headed stepchild: i just swallowed a watermelon jolly rancher

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

i just swallowed a watermelon jolly rancher

Maria recently wrote about the generosity of the people in this country toward the victims of hurricane Katrina, and I agree. It is during these rare times I actually feel a kinship with my people.

But all this talk about hurricane survivors got me thinking about a news bit I heard the other night on our local news station. I just wasted 30 minutes, at work, looking for an article on this subject and couldn't find one, so you will just have to believe me.

For those of you not living in the Portland area, FEMA asked us to open a shelter and the Oregon Red Cross responded to that request. A shelter was setup at a high school here in Portland and all of the preparations were made to accommodate hundreds of Louisiana residents. The neighbors of the school were up in arms, "why our neighborhood?" and all sorts of crazy talk. Then the music stopped. No one was coming. I was a little shocked when I found out that Portland would no longer be needed, because the evacuees were supposed to show up ANY DAY. Now here is the fucked up part, the part that made me thankful I donated to another cause: The Red Cross spent over 100 thousand dollars setting up this shelter. FEMA admitted to poor planning when instructing that the shelter be set up, because after all it wasn't needed. The news story said FEMA would reimburse the Red Cross but it could be years before a check is received.

As if this isn't bad enough, the same thing happened in Seattle and Minneapolis. Thanks FEMA!

Seven minutes left of work and then I am off to drink ice cold beers and discuss my secret life. The life that will begin when my not-so-secret life ends. Can't talk about it here!