+ confessions of a red-headed stepchild: friday confessional

Friday, March 11, 2005

friday confessional

Why I am not a good violin player after 20 years of violin playing:

In middle school my orchestra teacher required us to practice for 30 minutes a night. Each week we had to turn in practice cards with our parents signature stating that we had indeed practiced the required amount of time. Instead of practicing my violin I started practicing my mother's signature.

In high school I thought the orchestra students were REALLY boring, so I didn't sign up. It was around this time that I turned my violin sideways and started plucking the notes with my fingers, wishing I had learned to play the guitar or even the cello, but not the violin. I think I eventually sold it and bought beer for me and my friends.

When my Grandfather died I inherited his violin. I have been trying to teach myself how to play again, wishing that I wasn't so distracted with Nintendo, beer and being cool when I was younger.