+ confessions of a red-headed stepchild: I bet my laundry is dirtier than yours

Friday, January 21, 2005

I bet my laundry is dirtier than yours

My family is getting me down.

The unit has been in a constant state of transition and turmoil my entire life. I was trained to live for tomorrow based on the assumption that once we got passed the current situation life would be better.

But tomorrow never comes.

I feel cheated because the relationships I have with my family are based on helping them out of the bad decsions they have made. The conversations are dominated by breakups, drug addiction, child custody battles, marriages with instantly pending divorces, car accidents, bad friends, this person won't talk to that person, and now my oldest sister is dating my mom's husband's son.

I am not like them though. I spent weekends with my dad. I have broken all kinds of family records by not getting married, I still don't have kids, I have a career and I NEVER call my family for help because I don't make stupid decisions, like moving in with someone after dating them for two weeks, or selling meth to an undercover police officer within 1000 feet of an elementary school.

This is why I am anxious when my phone rings.