+ confessions of a red-headed stepchild: 1943-1961 revisited

Saturday, January 29, 2005

1943-1961 revisited

I just spent the last 4 hours sorting through a scrapbook that belonged to my grandma. She found the most amazingly strange things sentimental. It was busting at the seams with greeting cards, letters, news article and items of interest collected between the years 1943 and 1961.

In an effort to not be a collector of all things, I decided to go through the book. I took out a few things that were special to me and placed the book in the recyling bin. It was sad, something I couldn't have done last year while I was here for her funeral, but packing around old napkins from restaurants once ate at and ALL the tags from EVERY Christmas gift EVER received is not something I am passionate about.

One letter I found interesting was written to my grandpa from Cpl Donald B. Moore of the 89th Bomb Disposal Squad, stationed in Nurnberg, Germany. My grandpa was a nuclear physicist and led a very secretive career, couple that with a grandaughter who keeps no secrets and here you have a confidential letter posted on the internet for all to see:

25 November 1945

Dear Dr. Pelsor:

If the attached box ever reaches you without first being confiscated I shall be very much surprised. I hope you will be interested in the contents. I am submitting this to you for your comparison. I figured you would enjoy tearing one of these things apart.

Respectfully,
Donald Moore


And we will never know what was in the attached box.