+ confessions of a red-headed stepchild: cry baby

Sunday, November 07, 2004

cry baby

I was driving along minding my own business when the craziest thing happened. What seemed like nearly a hundred vehicles covered in Bush/Cheney stickers and American Flags, came parading down the middle lane, of a FUCKING FREEWAY! There were army vehicles, the ever popular suv (one had more than 50 support our troop magnets on it) and tons of classic cars. There were people at every overpass waving flags as if they knew this sick parade was going to take place. I was fine until I saw the banners that read "freedom has a price", and others held by young kids that said "thank you!", to the troops I guess even though the troops aren't here to read the signs.

Now don't get me wrong. I didn't start crying hysterically because I don't support our troops (the taxes are taken from my check bi-weekly, so I am forced to support them), it was because I felt so scared and hurt that so many people have been brainwashed into believing that this war in Iraq has a single iota to do with OUR freedom.

I kept thinking back to that news article I read yesterday about 50 people dying in combat and I just wanted to scream. I called Tom as I was blubbering, and tried to explain to him what I was seeing and how sick it was. And then as if that wasn't bad enough I saw a woman throw her empty cigarette pack out of her car window. I decided I needed to get home in a hurry before I started beating the shit out of someone.