+ confessions of a red-headed stepchild: good deed for the day

Thursday, September 30, 2004

good deed for the day

I just wrote a letter to the manager of a gas station I go to on my way to work in the mornings.

Thursday, September 30, 2004

To Whom It May Concern:

I drive past many gas stations everyday. Being in the petroleum industry you have probably given considerable thought to what makes someone go to one gas station over another. People are different and each person looks for specific things in a station.

I personally don’t look at prices, I figure they are all within ten cents of each other and don’t feel like I have time to care about pennies here and pennies there, although that is the main motivator for my significant other. He shops solely on price. One thing we all have in common is that we want to be treated with respect and it is extremely helpful if the gas attendant has a good attitude and tries to take some time out to let you know that his focus is on you, and your needs. I know that working as a gas attendant can’t be a very rewarding job, and that often times the pay is not comparable to the things you have to put up with, i.e. weather, assholes and the like.

You have one person on your staff that does an excellent job of drawing me back in as I need a fill up. This person is beaming with positive energy, and is seemingly happy to be pumping gas. That is amazing! When I pull in he, like my dog, acts like he is happy to see me. How is it that he is able to make me feel like he really wants to be servicing me?

I sure hope you think this gas attendant is as special as I do. Now here is the funny part: I don’t know his name. So I will tell you what he looks like and hopefully it will be enough information so you can pat the right person on the back.

This attendant works mornings, he is tall, slender and has brown short hair.

Sincerely,

Darcie