+ confessions of a red-headed stepchild: run toto run

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

run toto run

As I exited the freeway on my way to work today I saw a small dog running down the off ramp and out into heavy traffic. I slammed on my brakes, with no concern for others exiting behind me and stared as the dog ran across the south bound lanes to the middle of the freeway. It began running between the cement median and semis speeding down the interstate. I pulled over and started walking toward it, but there would have been no way for me to catch up with it, let alone cross the freeway without putting myself in grave danger. I resolved to let someone else handle it, since I couldn't do much from where I was.

I walked back to my car, praying that the dog would be okay and tried to dial 911 when an ODOT truck pulled up to see why I was pulled off the road. I told him about the dog, it took a few attempts to actually get him the details he needed as I was panicky. He sped off so he could find the dog. I knew that there wasn't much time before the dog ran out into traffic again and unfortunately I lost hope for it. I was so sad and anxious and wished I could have done something more.

I went to work and on my way back down the freeway about 20 minutes later I saw a big holdup with an ODOT truck, the guy I spoke with and a few other people standing along the side of the freeway. Traffic was backed up for a mile but I couldn't make out what was going on. I called the ODOT dispatch and told them what had happened. I asked if the dog was okay and the woman told me they had just caught him and he was going to be alright. I let out a huge sigh of relief.

I love animals so much and hate the idea of them being hurt. I have no idea who the asshole is that was letting their dog run out into the freeway but hopefully after this episode they won't let it happen again.