+ confessions of a red-headed stepchild: hamster wheels

Thursday, July 08, 2004

hamster wheels

I went to Ashland this last weekend for the 4th of July. Ashland has a big celebration I hadn't been to for at least 4 years, plus Maria was in town and I didn't want to miss out on spending as much time with her as possible.

Tom and I stayed at my sister's house for the first two nights, BBq'd, went on a rafting trip and set off fireworks with my nephew! Tom stayed up until 5am playing video games so he was hurting when we woke up early Sunday morning to go to the Ashland parade. After the parade we went to a fun party at Maria's parents house on the golf course. Maria's dad hired a band to play, her mom made tons of food, Jenni had lots of fireworks and there was plenty of cold beer. The next morning we all went out to breakfast before heading back home.

Ashland will always be a very special place to me and not just because it is my home town. It is a small place, smack in the middle of reneck AMERICA. Somehow it is a safe haven from racism, homophobes, radical right wingers, religous fanatics and unfortunately the poor because the cost of living is getting way too high. People make fun of Ashland and say things like "girls don't shave their legs there...it is just a bunch of hippies", but the reality of it all is that the people think for themselves, they care about the enviornment and there is so little crime that events like "shopping cart crashed into parked car, under investigation" are covered in the public safety column of the newspaper.

Somehow as great as it is there, I can't imagine living there again and when I talk to people who are still there I want to ask them how life in the hamster wheel is treating them. Life just cycles around and around. Nothing really changes other than a few new faces, a few new restaurants and a few changes to the way traffic is directed around town. Other than that you can see my sixth grade school teacher sitting out front of the bank getting ready to watch the parade, as my ex-boyfriends ex-girlfriend (after me) and their kid march past in the parade, there is my old boss in his booth at the park, I sure hope he doesn't see me, there is the old pervert that liked to take pictures of young girls, and that guy I can't stand who thinks we are buddies...No really I saw a bunch of people I was happy to see as well.

I am bored at work today and haven't been working much. I was checking out this site that I go to every once in a while, I ran across it years ago and something about it really intrigues me. Anyway I better try to regain focus.